When we were Upstate recently, the leaves were shimmering in the afternoon glow, the air was crisp, the view was stunning, our cottage was spacious and also super warm and cozy, and our host surprised us with the most delicious gluten-free and vegan apple crisp. Here’s my version of Meri’s swoon-worthy recipe.
6 Granny Smith apples, peeled and sliced
4-6 tablespoons apricot jam
6 tablespoons coconut oil or unsalted butter
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
1/2 cup coconut palm crystals
2/3 cup bob’s red mill paleo baking flour blend
optional: serve with ice cream, vegan ice cream, cashew cream, or whipped cream
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F
2. In a small bowl combine the ingredients for the streusel topping. Set aside.
3. In an baking dish, layer the apple slices and top with apricot jam. Then add the streusel topping.
4. Bake on the center rack for 30 minutes or until the apples are the texture that you like.
5. Optional: serve with ice cream, vegan ice cream, cashew cream, or whipped cream.