A healthy comfort food option for any season!
- 2 cups zucchini, shredded
- 2 cups leeks, chopped into a small dice
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 whisked large eggs (for vegans: 1 tablespoon ground flax or ground chia with 3 tablespoons warm water)
- 1/2 cup Bob’s Red Mill Paleo Blend or almond flour
- 2 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- olive oil or olive oil spray
- Line a large strainer with a clean kitchen towel and fill with the grated zucchini. Sprinkle the salt over the zucchini then lightly toss the zucchini to coat. Let rest for 10 minutes. Gather all ends of the kitchen towel so that the zucchini is inside. Now squeeze out as much water as possible.
2. In a small bowl whisk the eggs, or prepare the flax/chia mixture. Set that aside.
3. Heat a drizzle of olive oil in a non-stick sauté pan over medium heat. Add the garlic and leeks and sauté for about 5 minutes. Remove from heat.
4. In a large bowl mix together the zucchini, leeks, flour, nutritional yeast, flax mixture, and garlic. Mix well. Scoop up enough for one fritter in your hands, and form a patty. The dough will be quite sticky. You can wet your hands to tidy them up. Evenly spread them out on your baking sheet. Yield is 6-8 patties
To cook stove top:
1. Heat a drizzle or generous spray of olive oil in a large non-stick pan over medium heat.
2. Spread the patties evenly in the pan and cook 2-3 minutes per side. They are ready when both sides are nicely browned and they are cooked through. You may need to increase the heat to medium-high.
3. Remove from pan and serve.
1. Preheat your oven to 400F (200C). Lightly grease a baking sheet.
2. Bake for 20-25 minutes, flipping them once midway through. They are ready when both sides are nicely browned and they are cooked through.
3. Serve warm with a dollop of almond-milk ricotta, marinara sauce, or any of your favorite dipping sauces.