Spring days are on! I’m resetting my skin, brain + bod with nature’s best cell-hydrators like asparagus and watermelon radishes. I was inspired by The Minimalist Kitchen and doctored up this vegan Spring Pea + Asparagus Soup. It is a delicious way to ramp up your own spring clean.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, coconut oil or ghee
- 1 large bundle or 12 oz asparagus, trimmed
- 2 cups or 10 oz peas
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 shallot, thinly sliced
- Himalayan salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1 1/2 cups full-fat coconut milk (1 can) or your favorite non-dairy milk such almond or cashew
- 1 1/2 cups vegetable broth
- 2 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- Juice of 1/2 medium lemon
- Garnish: asparagus, crushed cashews, cilantro, watermelon radish (optional)
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F and spread asparagus on a parchment-lined baking sheet. Drizzle with olive oil, coconut oil or ghee, sprinkle with salt and pepper. Toss to coat.
- Roast for 15 minutes, then set aside.
- Heat a pot over medium heat. Add 1 tablespoon oil. Add shallot and garlic and sauté for 2-3 minutes or until translucent. Reduce heat if garlic begins browning
- Add peas, vegetable broth and coconut milk, and bring to a gentle boil.
- As soon as it reaches a boil, turn off heat and transfer soup to a blender along with asparagus (reserve some for garnish). Blend soup until creamy and smooth. Add nutritional yeast and lemon juice, check for seasoning, and blend again just to combine (a few seconds).
- Serve immediately and garnish with asparagus, watermelon radish, cashews, and fresh cilantro or micro-greens. cooking until warmed through and simmering, then reduce heat to low.
- If you are not serving immediately, gently simmer or reheat when ready to serve. Garnish just before serving.